Orthodontics is the term given to the part of dentistry that focuses on the alignment, positioning, and spacing of the teeth and jaws. An orthodontist, like Dr. Markey, is a specialist, and they receive two or more years of specialized training in this field to become an expert in preventing, diagnosing, and treating issues including:
- Crooked teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Misaligned teeth and/or jaws
- TMJ Disorders
In addition, the growing child should also be assessed for:
- Habits e.g. thumb sucking
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty in chewing or biting
- Mouth breathing
- Speech difficulties
- Biting the cheek or the roof of the mouth
- Facial imbalance
Why is it important?
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends all children get a check-up with an orthodontic specialist no later than age 7.
Orthodontists can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while some baby teeth are still present.
- While your child’s teeth may appear to be straight, there could be a problem that only an orthodontist can detect.
- A check-up may reveal that your child’s bite is fine. Or, the orthodontist may identify a developing problem but recommend monitoring the child’s growth and development, and then, if indicated, begin treatment at the appropriate time for the child. In other cases, the orthodontist might find a problem that can benefit from early treatment. *
Left untreated, improper alignment of teeth and/or jaws can lead to complications with biting, chewing, speech, headaches, grinding and tooth wear, gum and bone loss, swollen, sore, or clicking jaws, and higher rates of tooth decay and periodontal disease.
Click here to see problems to watch for in seven year olds.
What can I do?
Orthodontic treatment can safely and effectively resolve issues with alignment. During your consultation, Dr. Markey will work with you to create a customized treatment plan for optimal results. Depending on your needs, this plan may include braces, clear aligner therapy such as Invisalign®, a retainer, early interceptive treatment, or other solutions.
Protect your oral health and enjoy a more beautiful smile. Contact Three Leaf Orthodontics to schedule your orthodontic consultation today.